Monday, October 29, 2007

Day fifty seven - Monday, Oct. 29

Today wasn't a travel day, nor was it a show day. Today was a work day. Ann did laundry and I worked at catching fish.

I went back to Lake Taneycomo. I got on the water at about 3:00 p.m. There weren't nearly as many people on the water as there was on Saturday.

Taking up the challenge, I tried dry flies again. There were plenty of fish and they were on the surface. I tied on a small parachute pattern and caught three Rainbows. They were nice fish about 12-14 inches, like Saturday's fish.

When I first got on the water I saw numerous Brown trout right along the bank in about one foot of water. A couple were huge. Maybe 36 inches long! I spent the whole afternoon standing in the water and casting back toward the bank. Well, other than the three Rainbows, it didn't pay off.

I also noticed that the Rainbows were not shy. As I walked in the water, I looked down and had about 15 Rainbows right at my feet. As I walked or if I shuffled my feet the trout would feed on whatever I was dredging up. Some of these Rainbows were maybe 16 inches.

2 comments:

Geoff M. said...

Try a longer, finer leader with one or two scuds on the end. Cast from the bank and quartering downstream. Keep your profile low. If that doesn't work, try a sculpin or rainbow trout pattern and do the same presentation. Early evening morning or evening might be the best time to try.

If that doesn't work, go back to playing Scrabble.

Anonymous said...

Wow! A work day? Ann did laundry and YOU FISHED?
I hope you weren't overtaxed?!? LOL.

Don and Barb