Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day twenty - Saturday

News does travel toward the east coast, albeit slowly sometimes. Congratulations to Trinity Center VFD's newest EMT. Martie Mullen passed her National EMT test! Way to go Martie!
We all knew you'd get 'er done.

Speaking of TCVFD, we can put one down for an outside assist today. As Ann and I were leaving the rest stop where we spent the night we noticed a woman down on the sidewalk. Some people were stopping but most were walking by without giving much notice. At one point a couple of men tried to help her up but she would have nothing to do with it.

I went to check on her and found she had tripped on the curb and fallen. She had most likely broken her hip. Well, at the urging of Dr. Koby I brought my medical equipment with me on this trip. I checked her distal pulse and found it to be strong. I gave her oxygen and stabilized the leg and hip. I found that by putting a rolled up blanket under her leg and lifting the leg just a little, it took some of the pain away.

Pittsboro Fire Paramedics arrived and took over. They replaced my non-rebreather mask and off we went. Now I need to find a fire department that'll refill my oxygen bottle. The woman was 70 years old and I hope she'll be okay.

At this same rest stop, Ann was introduced to "Chiggers". She was walking Strudel in the grass at the rest stop, and after she went to bed discovered that her legs were itching terribly. She got out of bed and noticed that both legs were FULL of little insect bites. We found out later that they were caused by the varmints mentioned above. We don't have Chiggers in California, and let me tell you, they are no fun. Neither one of us got any sleep.

We finally left the rest stop at about 10:00 a.m. We drove into Indianapolis and went straight to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. We wanted to go into the speedway and check out the facilities and Hall of Fame but found the entrance to be way too small to try to drive the motor home in. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the motor home on one of the side streets. The surrounding neighborhood isn't what I'd refer to as "upscale."

So, we left Indianapolis and headed east. After driving a total of 320 miles we stopped in St. Clairsville, Ohio. This on the east side of Ohio just before entering West Virginia. We started out on Hwy 74 and, in Indianapolis, switched to Hwy 70. Hwy 70 took us through Dayton, Columbus and into Clairsville.

We had been seeing signs along the highway for a restaurant called Buffalo Wild Wings. Well, when we pulled into our campground parking lot (Wal-mart RV Resort) there was a Buffalo Wild Wings Restaurant. In we went and we had a great meal. For the most part the restaurant sells regular and boneless wings, ribs and chicken. The draw is the BBQ sauce you get on your wings. They had twelve different flavors listed in order of the spiciness of the sauce. I had a sampler, only a quarter of which I could eat after having a small salad, and Ann had wings with the "Wild" sauce. It's the second to the hottest sauce on the menu. She liked it so much she bought a bottle of the sauce. Good dinner for $22.00.

We finally got out of corn country. From Minnesota to Ohio we saw nothing but corn and soy beans. In eastern Ohio we also found some hills. It's been flat from eastern South Dakota to Ohio. Now it's green and hilly. Not mountainous, but hilly. Much better than flat!!!

We've got just under 300 miles to go tomorrow and will be Washington D.C.

1 comment:

Geoff M. said...

Chiggers, Buffalo Wild Wings and Wal-Mart RV Resort. Yup, that pretty much cover it, doesn't it? Strange, I don't see a mention of Buffalo Wild Wings in my Zagat Restaurant Guide...a red flag perhaps?