Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Day seven - Sunday


When I was here in ’93, I stopped in West Yellowstone which is a town just outside the west entrance to Yellowstone NP. At that time I stopped at the Fly Fishing Museum in West Yellowstone but it was closed. Today we drove to West Yellowstone to go to the Museum. On the way we stopped at Canyon Village to visit the Visitor’s Center. There we lots of informative displays explaining how Yellowstone was created and its volcanic history. Fascinating! Did I mention it has been cold here? As we walked out of the Visitor’s Center, it was snowing. I felt very sorry for all the people on motorcycles.

In West Yellowstone we found out the Fly Fishing Museum had moved to Livingston Montana about ten years ago. Bummer! Somebody should have told me. Still, we had a nice lunch, visited a small local museum and did lots of sightseeing on the way to and from West Yellowstone. I noticed a lot of people fishing the Madison and Firehole rivers.

On the way back we came to a place where there was a herd of Bison alongside the road. We stopped to get some pictures and Strudel, who barks at anything that moves, learned a lesson. While getting pictures, the herd moved slowly towards us. Soon the herd was all around the car. If you’ve never heard the sound a Bison makes, it’s just like a Lion roar. Strudel heard one of the Bison next to the car make this sound and he suddenly became very docile. Funny thing, he hasn’t barked at a Bison since.

1 comment:

tclakelady said...

I can't get Strudel and the bison out of my head. The picture in my mind keeps me laughing. Poor baby!!!!

Annie, you sure are missed. It just is not the same without you Went on another walk with Elaine, Cheryl and Diane by Etna (sort of). I think that Elaine keeps taking us to different lakes, because she knows we won't go back to the past ones.

Looks like you and Bob are having a wonderful time. Glad we have not been blessed with snow yet. Fall is diffinately here. I don't think that it reached 78 today and the nights are much colder 50 ish. Well at least I got to use the air conditioner for a month. Probably will save us big bucks.

How is Sady? Did she like the bison?

Continue on your journey and enjoy every minute of it.

Love
Linda B